Saturday, May 30, 2009

first outing!

so over the past few days i've had friends come to visit.. love it!

on thursday laura, ben, and jeana stopped by for a bit and tori stayed over the whole day. we got to watch 'lost in translation' (although we started it shortly after i had to take some pain meds, so i didn't quite pay attention..LOL) and we played an awesome game with my parents (it's called 'storming the castle' and it's a strategy game based on the movie 'the princess bride' - i highly reccomend it!).

friday rolled around and laura came over to watch 'breakfast at tiffany's' with me (it was my 1st time seeing it!). the receptionist at the orthopedic surgeon's office called and tried to change the date of my appointment for my hard cast.. but i nipped that one in the bud. My release papers from the hospital stated i needed to wait 14 days after my surgery before making the appointment to have a hard cast put on. the date she wanted to change it to would have only been 9 days after the surgery. so i say to her, '(name), if you want to get my doctor on the phone to confirm that it is ok to only wait 9 days instead of the 14 days then that will be fine' and she asked me where i got the idea of 14 days. i then replied, 'IT WAS ON THE PAPER THAT YOUR BOSS SIGNED THAT WAS SENT HOME WITH ME FROM THE HOSPITAL.' (*rolls eyes*) really? isn't this her job? geeze.. maybe when i can walk again i can try to take it from her ;)

but today was my 1st big outing! laura came and picked me, the wheelchair, and crutches (lol) up and we got to go shopping! i bought some books at barnes & noble, presents for mom & dad (they've been SO patient and awesome since this has happened!), and some stuff from bath & body works. then ben, laura's boyfriend, met up with us for dinner at gordon biersch (spelling?).. it was delicious =) but being out and about was... interesting.

this was my first shopping trip in a wheelchair. wow, little kids like to stare. and i couldn't reach some register counters to sign my credit card slip. there were some doorways that were hard to get through with the wheelchair. in short? it sucked. but it was so nice to be out of the recliner and my parents house =)

of course, now i'm slightly paying for it as my ankle is throbbing a bit more than usual right now, but oh well. it was worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment