Monday, June 1, 2009

one week

it's been one week since my little 'mishap' .. so i thought i'd post about what i've learned in the last 7 days:

1) NEVER take mobility for granted. even the smallest and most minuscule things (ex: going to the bathroom) have become a major pain in the ass. having to twist and turn in the bathroom to brush my teeth or wash my hands sitting down has been pretty damn unpleasant..

2) the next time i'm about to do something and think 'well, maybe i shouldn't.. but it will be ok' .. i'm NOT going to do it. period. geeze, i never imagined this happening!

3) follow the doctor's orders. i have to sit in this damn chair with my left leg elevated at all times. do i like it? hell no.. but do i want to have to go through surgery again to fix it? HELL no. so i have to miserably comply.. (*rolls eyes*)

4) don't take family and friends for granted either.. my parents have been absolutely wonderful in taking care of me.. doing all sorts of things they don't like or want to do! this is what family is about.. being there during both your triumphs and mistakes. i have the most awesome parents, and once i can finally get out of this mess (2 months!) i have no idea how i'm going to make it up to them.. but i've got time to think about it. also.. my friends! whether it's people coming to visit or talking online, thanks for being there for me! the visits and conversations keep me up in spirits and make me feel very loved :) i have a sad feeling, well.. premonition really, that there will be some of my 'friends' who will drop off the radar for the next couple of months. that will really show me who my true friends are.. and who the ones i need to get rid of are, lol.

5) modern medicine! i can't imagine having to go through this without today's technology (and pain pills).. without the plate and screws in my leg/ankle i might have not been able to walk normally again (eek!) and without the pain meds.. well, i would be in excruciating pain right now! i am happy to report that as the days go by (farther away from when i had my surgery) the pain has lessened.. i am down from taking 2 percocets every 6 hours (even in the middle of the night.. the pain in my ankle would wake me up) to taking 1 percocet every 7-8 hours. i'm being very careful with this medication, as percocet is oxycodene - the same drug that my brother-in-law died of an OD from. granted, shane's use was purely recreational.. but still. i'm watching it ;)

well, i think that 5 big life lessons is enough for one week.. i've also been able to get some things done that i've been meaning to do for a long time..
  • everybody's contact info in my phone has been updated.. including email and mailing addresses
  • i have transferred over the pics from my computer (of italy, etc.) to my phone that i wanted to use as wallpapers, etc.
  • i went to barnes & noble and bought several books i had been wanting to read, but didn't have the time for
  • i've updated online albums and added new pics to them
  • i ordered dad's father's day present online - and i can't wait for him to get it! i am looking forward to seeing the look on his face when he opens it :)
  • the insurance is finally all set up.. i'm just waiting on my card to arrive in the mail
  • i've called to check up on my graduation pictures that were supposed to be here almost a week ago (last tuesday).. i'm actually doing this while writing this blog, and their hold times are ridiculous! oh well, i'm not going anywhere...
  • i watched 'breakfast at tiffany's' (and loved it, audrey hepburn is awesome!)
and i'm planning on doing more things this coming week.. the big project of this injury will be a scrapbook of my trip to italy! i'm hoping mom can take me to A.C. Moore sometime within the next couple of days so i can get all the materials i need.. i ♥ scrapbooking! and i hope i can come up with a really awesome one for this trip :)

well, it's dinner time.. mmmmm mom's spaghetti sauce (i've been smelling it cook all day, and mom is lucky i can't get over to the crock pot.. otherwise there might not be any left... LOL) and then a night of family fun with some board games! (we're a VERY competitive bunch.. so it should be interesting)

i hope everybody has a great week.. and can at least learn a few things from my mistake!

2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to watch Breakfast at Tiffany's, but of course just never got around to it. I'm glad you got out for a shopping trip :-) I'm sure you were starting to get a little stir crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FEEL BETTER SOON :) I can't believe all of this has happened lady - and all from a little jump off a 4 foot balcony? Geez louise! I hope the pain isn't too bad either. Maybe we can come down and stay with the kitties for you? We can come by of course and keep you company at your parents house too! It's not like it's too far away or anything.. ha ha. Hope your ankle heals better and stronger than ever :) Talk to you soon - hope to see you soon too!

    ReplyDelete