Saturday, June 20, 2009

more milestones

so, i was told i needed to update. LOL

last night i was 'allowed' to spend the night at the condo. it felt incredible to be able to sleep in my own bed! of course, my mother came to pick me up after i had woken up and took me back to the parent's house (my stuff is still over there).. but it's a step towards letting me live in my own place, lol. now, i just have to figure out how to operate the coffee maker while standing up on crutches..

today, while running errands with mom, i was able to reach another milestone - she let me drive! ah, i had missed my car.. anyways, the doctor had told me it was ok to drive when i had my hard cast on but i hadn't tried it yet. it really wasn't a problem! i was able to get myself in my car, crutches and all, drive, get out of the car, and hobble around on my crutches.

i've been avoiding using the chair, as it is more exercise to crutch (lol). really.. it is. i can feel it in my dormant muscles (ha!) as i move about. my right leg, which is what mainly holds me up, is really getting a workout.. then throw in the arms, which also hold me up.. but not as much as the leg.. and, the best part.. my abs. apparantly that's where i get the swinging motion as i move to and fro, haha. i can feel them working.. and i know that it's actually impacting me. last week i was able to balance (on one leg, lol) on the scale.. and it turns out that i have somehow dropped 10 pounds since this whole 'thing' started. not only do i attribute this to my 'workouts' but also because the parents only feed me healthy foods.. lots of fruit (which is ok, i like fruit), wheat everything, grilled chicken/salmon, salads, etc. at first i really hated it (ok, so i like junk food a bit too much..haha) but now that i'm used to it.. i kind of like it. especially with the results :)

the other afternoon (thursday) mom and i went to the movies. this was another first.. we saw 'Up' in 3-D (cute movie!) but, most importantly, i was able to sit through the entire movie and still be comfortable. awesome! that means.. more movies! LOL, i love going to see movies.. so here are the ones i want to see (and soon!)
  • the hangover (going to that next week with tori and thrasher, can't wait!)
  • my sister's keeper
  • bruno
  • harry potter and the half-blood prince
and i'm sure there are more, but i can't think of them right now. i've had a lot on my mind lately, which i won't go into great detail about on here..since this blog is not about that kind of stuff. it's about my ankle, lol. but let's just say that it feels as if a large and heavy burden has been lifted off my shoulders... in a very, very good way.

i can't wait for this whole mess to be over, i want to walk again! at times i get a little down and pissed at myself for being this stupid to let this happen.. but oh well, can't think in the past.. you know? it did happen, and i was momentarily that stupid, so i just have to move on and deal with it.

i have to wait at least 8 weeks from the date of my surgery until i can put any weight/pressure on my left leg. hmm, my surgery was may 27th. so that makes my 'freedom date' (lol) july 27th. i am really looking forward to that day.. haha.

the doctor told me that i will have a walking boot, and can't immediately put all my weight on that leg. i will have to gradually ease my ankle back into holding me up, walking, moving, etc. so for the first week or so with the boot i'll still have to use my crutches. but at least i won't be swinging around like a little monkey, lol, i will be able to walk. just using the crutches for support.

BUT, all this depends on how my x-rays look at my next appointment.. which is scheduled for july 13th. if they look good then i can actually have the cast taken off then.. even though i can't put any weight on it until the 27th. so.. i'm not really sure what they would put on next.. maybe an aircast? i have no idea.

the insurance has finally been squared away, for now anyways. hopefully there won't be any problems with coverage, nor will my portion of the bills be too expensive. personally, i think that the point of insurance is so that will pay for all of it.. but apparantly that is just wishful thinking on my part.

so, yeah. that's pretty much all i can think about that has been going on lately, in terms of my ankle. i'm sick of this crap, and just want to move! i hate how much this has shattered (temporarily) my life, kind of. i can't just get up and go somewhere.. actually, it's kind of a pain to go ANYwhere right now. but.. i'm getting there. my ankle doesn't hurt at all anymore (*knocks on wood*) .. this cast is just slightly uncomfortable (but not too tight anymore) and a pain in the ass, lol.

so.. july 27th.. yes.... the coundtown begins :)

5 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment